On the 18th March 2021, Botho University through its Faculty of Engineering and Technology officially launched the Huawei ICT Academy. The event was officiated by Honorable Dr. Douglas Letsholathebe, Minister of Tertiary Education, Research, Science and Technology. This comes after the memorandum of understanding (MOU) signed last year between the two parties, Huawei Technologies Botswana and Botho University, where Huawei committed to establishing ICT academy programmes with BU. As part of its productive relationship with BU, Huawei provided fully equipped laboratory worth of 360,000 Pula for the new Academy including training materials for various courses.
During his speech Hon. Minister Dr. Douglas Letsholathebe mentioned that the partnership will help shape the economy of Botswana in the future through E- Education. He stated “This partnership is in tandem with the development of E-Education Policy Framework, which will provide direction and guidance for strengthening capacities and capabilities to deliver online education and training that would meet the needs of the economy and facilitate achievement of Botswana’s Vision 2036, as well as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in particular SDG 4.”
With what the world experienced with COVID 19, Huawei Academy’s sponsorship comes as a breakthrough to Botswana’s economy upliftment, as highlighted by Huawei Technologies, Botswana Managing Director Mr. Ye Huihui. “From our perspective, Knowledge and Digitalisation are the key powers that are important to bring stability and fast restoration for both social and economic challenges”, he said.
The Huawei ICT academy comes with so many benefits for both parties as the few mentioned below:
Benefits of having the Huawei ICT Academy for both parties
- Students and staff of Botho University, will be able to take up all Huawei’s ICT Career certification courses and exams for free.
- Student participation in the annual Huawei ICT competitions regionally and internationally sponsored by Huawei will be made available.
- Huawei will train the instructors and accredit them under the academy.
- Students will also take part in Seeds for the future program, they can travel to China for a field trip to understand more on Huawei technologies (fully Sponsored by Huawei)
- Trained instructors will train corporates at a nominal fee.
- All the software tools and learning materials will be available for all the Huawei certification courses.
- Students can take up an internship with Huawei Technologies, Botswana.
- Botho, being a Huawei ICT Academy, will also be able to allow students from other campuses as well to avail some of these benefits at our Gaborone campus (for eg:- Certifications)