The objective of the course is to enable the student to start a business of her/his own. The course is designed to address important issues faced when starting a company, focusing on critical processes and an in particular processes required in the new firms.
Learning outcomes – after taking the course students should be able to:
- analyze the potential of a business opportunity by applying different models
- exploit a feasible business opportunity by applying different models of entrepreneurship execution
- describe the process and phases of launching a venture, its context and common pitfalls
- analyze and discuss the process of recruitment, team building and management in new ventures
- understand different sources of financing a new venture
- understand the concept of "bootstrapping" and how to apply it to ventures in different contexts
- know how to approach key customers and gain visibility for a new venture
- argue for the importance of execution, decision making and action oriented management in entrepreneurship and innovation processes and prepare the venture for growth and international expansion
Programme details: The programme consists of 19 core (required) modules. The number at the end of the module in parenthesis indicates the credit load of the module. 1 credit is equal to 10 hours of learning (guided, in-class and independent combined); therefore a 10-credit module requires on average 100 hours of learning from the student.
Structure This is a six-months full time course. There will be two intensive weeklong sessions; spaced over a period of 6months.
Teaching methods A blend of teaching methods including lectures, guest lectures, case analysis and presentations, project work and group discussions will be used for the course. There will be individual and/or group presentation during and at the end of the course. There is also a written exam. The pedagogical model is based on a process that starts with the question why (theory), how (practice), learning (assessment and feedback), and conclusion (outcomes).
Prerequisites Students must be enrolled in an accredited college or selected through the criteria set by the government.
Students will be required to satisfactory complete all of the course assignments in order to receive a passing grade. Attendance is compulsory.
Senior secondary school leaving certificate such as BGCSE, LGCSE or equivalent with pass in English and Science subjects (Chemistry/Physics/ Maths/Computer Science/Biology). Candidates above 25 years with at least 5 years of work experience, of which at least 2 years must be at Level 4 equivalent may be considered under mature entry criteria.